Monday, May 24, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside

I love my laptop because it keeps my legs warm while I whinge on Twitter about how cold it is in my flat. I'm complicated like that.

Saturday night was one of Melbourne's coldest nights, with the mercury in the city sitting on 4 degrees in the wee morning hours. And while my spoiled arse was wrapped up in a doona dreaming of pancake stacks and ponies, around 23,000 Victorians were experiencing some form of homelessness. That's right, twenty-three THOUSAND, in Victoria.

SO WHAT'S THE BIG ISSUE?

Last year I had the pleasure of spending some time with several of Melbourne's The Big Issue vendors (as well as the brilliant editor, Alan Attwood and deputy editor, Melissa Cranenburgh). The vendors were strong, articulate, inspiring people. I try to buy the mag from a different seller every fortnight - mostly because I want to spread the love but also because having a chat with the seller always brightens my day. 

A few weeks ago I had a wonderful conversation about George Clooney's endearing charm with an equally charming vendor on Exhibition Street. A few weeks before that I purchased my Big Issue from a severely disabled woman outside Myer. As I approached with purse in hand I got a reassuring smile. I took the tattered magazine which she had been clutching tightly from her hand and helped her put the money in her bag. 

It was empty. 

I was the first person who had approached her all day and it was nearing 4pm. People had been walking past her as though she was invisible. I saw them turn their heads to look at nothing in the opposite direction or suddenly check their phone as if an important SMS just came through. 

I'm not wanting to brag about how awesome I am. I'm just as self-absorbed as the next person. But I was shocked at how many people clearly find it so confronting dealing with homeless or disabled people. 

The GiveNow website has a handy page that outlines some facts as well as ways to help.

Also, I created a short audio mash-up from my talks with The Big Issue peeps - you can have a listen here.

VINNIES CEO SLEEPOUT

The St Vincent de Paul Society in Victoria will be hosting the Vinnies CEO Sleepout next month on June 17th to raise money and community awareness for the important and escalating issue of homelessness.

More than 40 Victorian CEOs and business and community leaders have signed up to give up their beds for the night and experience homelessness for themselves.

CEOs so far on the list include Guy Dobson (Austereo), Rhys Holleran (Southern Cross Media) and Eugene Arocca (North Melb. Football Club). They'll be joined by DMG Radio General Manager, Sam Thompson, ALP Victorian Branch State Secretary, Nicholas Reece and 2010 Australian of the Year, Professor Patrick McGorry.

You can get involved or sponsor a CEO at the website www.ceosleepout.org.au. For some added incentive you should know that the Sydney CEO Sleepout has raised more funds so far than the Melbourne one - come on Melbournians, it's a case of State vs State!

It's so easy to live inside our little bubbles with our headphones on and our faces buried in books (or checking Twitter on our iPhone) - but it's also easy to do something, however small, to assist those in our community that need help. 

I'll stop whinging about my lack of heating ... now.
 
One more thing, check out Rudely Interrupted's new single 'Close my Eyes' produced by Scope.

No comments:

Post a Comment