Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Channel 10's 'new stuff'

MASTER OF THEIR DOMAIN

Ok so Masterchef won the ratings in its timeslot last night (was aired at 7:30pm for the premiere but will be continuing at 7pm weekdays) and is your basic reality-whatever show. You could easily replace the contestants cooking for singers, dancers, models, gardeners, ugly-people-wanting-to-be-beautiful, old-people-wanting-to-be-young, single-people-wanting-to-get-laid or untalented-people-wanting-to-be-talented. It has the same three-judge panel, knockout rounds and sensitive female host to hug the pathetic failures. Insert tense music and cliffhanger ad-break moments and you have your basic ratings winner. It will be interesting to see if Masterchef does well in the 7pm timeslot.

POLICE-SQUAD-PATROL-RESCUE-BEAT

Above is my pitch for a name other than Recruits for the latest reality "we're adding dramatic music to you doing your job and making a show out of it!" program. Interestingly, the Channel 10 website calls it an "observational documetary series" here. How extraordinary and interesting - I love the new genre name - however I'm pretty sure it will be along the same lines as Bondi Vet, Animal Rescue, Customs and anything else that Vince Colosimo features as a voice-over for. Let's just say this one's not on my to-do list ... but if I happen to watch ...

MICALLEF PLEASE

Well, I've been waiting anxiously for Mr Micallef to once more grace my television screen and here he comes in all his glory as the host of the new 'kooky' quiz show that is being flogged six-ways-from-sunday called Talkin 'Bout Your Generation which premiers next Tuesday. It pits baby boomers and gen x and y'ers against eachother - but it seems the gen y'ers already have a handicap in most probably not knowing where the title comes from. Look, I'm not altogether sure about the show, but to be honest, I'd watch Shaun Micallef pick the fleas off of a monkey (- and clap for an encore) so I'll watch either way. Excuse me while I go wash my "Vote 1 Shaun Micallef for PM" t-shirt in readiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment