Friday, November 13, 2009

She Sings the Verses

I think it was the Pushover music festival in 1996 when I first saw Ella Hooper. Her voice had a rich, creamy thickness to it that stopped me in my tracks. I was actually on my way from the first aid tent where my friend's sprained ankle was being attended to. I was supposed to be getting a drink for said friend - but I had to listen to Killing Heidi's set before I could peel my converse from the sticky floor.

I have one of the orange Killing Heidi t-shirts from that year with a little space-girl on it - I found it again a little while ago. Needless to say, I am a fan of Killing Heidi, Ella Hooper and the Hoopers in general - so it was a delight, about a year ago, when Ella and brother Jesse started playing gigs around town as The Verses.

Today their four track, self-titled EP was released on iTunes. Ella's voice is still perfectly wonderful. If you're a fan of KH beware; The Verses have a delicious country sensibility - far removed from the rock sounds of KH. That being said, listening to The Verses may just give you the uncontrollable urge to buy a beat-up convertible and head on out to the open road - for a long drive to nowhere in particular.

The single "Forever More" oozes Fleetwood Mac - very apt seeing as The Verses will be supporting the Mac on their upcoming Australian tour. The intro has heavy drums and breathy vocals and the chorus has some kick-ass vocal harmonies that give it that 70's layered richness that the Mac are so famous for.

I really dig these four tracks, especially the first one "Everything at Once". I should also point out that I don't usually like country music - so don't let that deter you.

The Verses are going to be on high rotation at my place this summer. 

1 comment:

  1. everything at once, used to have accapella harmonies with clapping... and it was slower, and more country... i wouldnt class it as country now... v. disapointing. they guys are lovely though :)

    ReplyDelete