Monday, February 1, 2010

For the Love of 3D


Australia's gone mad for 3D. Since James Cameron's Avatar has broken all manner of box office records across the country there has been a renewed interest in all things Third Dimension.

Both A Current Affair and Today Tonight have had stories about the supposed rush to buy 3D televisions for the home and cinemas are hurrying to get whatever films they can in 3D so they can show movie-marathons and ride the wave of 3D popularity.

Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation on channel 10 returns this Sunday with some special segments in - you guessed it - 3D. (You can get your 3D glasses from TV Week or Women's Day magazines this week.)

Is it just me, or is 3D a little bit crap? I went to see Avatar at Imax and was thoroughly underwhelmed. Granted, after the hype surrounding the film I probably wouldn't have been happy with anything less than a Daft Punk-esque laser show requiring a cornea implant and resulting in a near-death-experience-so-close-to-heaven type revelation of existential proportions.

After three hours of checking my watch and wondering what species had bred with Jar Jar Binks to make these not-even-remotely believable creatures, I left the theatre wondering how this film had created such a buzz.

I suppose I should point out that I had watched Back to the Future II the night before - so I really had very high expectations of these new, fandangled 3D shenanigans. I mean, we've been promised 3D for a LONG time now haven't we? I mean, 3D films have been around since the start of the 20th century.

When chatting to a friend of mine about going to see Avatar he explained to me that the glasses provided by the cinema would probably be scratched from overuse and that he was going to be taking his own pair that he had saved from a 1976 Mad magazine.

Basically my reaction to the film, and particularly the 3D technologies was disappointment. Is this how far we've come with 3D? Is this as good as it gets right now? 

Buying a $7000 3D television set seems like a high price to pay to see some sparkly bits of stuff in front of your face every now and then - you can just as easily bang your head on the wall and get a similar effect. 

3D? As far as I'm concerned we have failed as a human race. 

- And where's my f#cking Hoverboard?

No comments:

Post a Comment