Wednesday, February 17, 2010

TV settles in for 2010

To be honest I didn't watch a whole lot of television over summer; the thought of accidentally switching over to the cricket or tennis made me break out in hives. So I took the opportunity to spend some time in the real world bitching about sports with my intellect-elitist friends over a glass of wine at various Fitzroyalty locations where "Hewitt" is a dirty word and tie-dye is well back in fashion.

Of course I can only fake 'cool' for so long so I'm back in my couch-groove watching whatever is on offer.

Here's my thoughts so far;


LOVING

Sleuth 101 (ABC1, Friday 8pm) - pure joy, and this week we have investigator Frank Woodley which should be a hoot.

Poh's Kitchen (ABC1, Wednesdays 6:30pm) - short, simple, good cooking and good conversation.

Talkin' 'Bout Your Generation (Ten, Sunday 7:30pm) - I think it's safe to say I'll watch Shaun Micallef read the newspaper. The only down-side to this great program is Charlie Pickering - sorry, but the more I see him, the more I dislike him - and unfortunately he's everywhere. 

Collectors (ABC1, Sunday 6:30pm) - seriously, what the hell is this brilliant show doing on a Sunday afternoon? Bad timeslot but thank heavens for iView. The new panel line-up is still getting comfortable but it's always well worth watching.

Heartbreak High (ABC3, [repeat] 8:30pm) - what's not to love? Teen angst, 90s fashion, racial tensions, pregnancies, affairs and ... oh yeah ... Alex Dimitriades, *swoon*.






 







LIKING

Hungry Beast (ABC1, Wednesday 9pm) - it's back, it's a bit tighter and smoother (obviously it's been using the Ab-Pro) and I am more than willing to spend half an hour watching it and supporting something that's a bit left-of-centre and that's nurturing young talent.

The White Room (Seven, Thursday 7:30pm) - well, I think 'liking' is a stronger word than I'd use, perhaps 'tolerating' is more appropriate. Either way, it has some great clips from old TV and I'll watch anything that features Man oh Man! I'm guessing it will be axed before it finds its feet, if it has any.

Q & A (ABC1, Monday 9:35pm) - hasn't quite hit its stride yet but we're only two episodes down and one featured only Kevin Rudd so that was hardly going to be edge-of-your-seat entertainment (- unless you like watching an awkward little man be thrown grammatically incorrect questions by Young Liberals who look like they're trapped in 1976) ... actually, that sounds a lot more fun than it actually was.


My Kitchen Rules (Seven, Mondays and Tuesdays 7:30pm) - the shock reveal of 5 new teams has made me lose interest a little bit but I'm definitely semi-watching the show for the time being (by "semi-watching" I mean watching it while I'm doing other things like talking on the phone about how glad I am the WA team were booted).

Good Game (ABC2, Monday 8:30pm) - I still miss "that other guy" but I'm a nerd, so I'll watch it.







Good News Week (Ten, Monday 8:30pm) - depending on the guests, this show is variably watchable. Unfortunately if Akmal Saleh is on I have to switch off, I've heard his joke one too many times. Either way though, Paul McDermott is devilishly handsome.


LOOKING FORWARD TO


Food Safari with Maeve O'Meara (SBS1, returns March 18) - Love Meave, love food, wish I had smell-o-vision.





Wilfred (SBS1, series 2 starts March 8) - One of the funniest Australian comedies. Wilfred is genius.


OBSERVATIONS

The Circle (Ten, weekdays 10am - midday) - as far as I can tell it's just David & Kim with 4 people instead of 2 (and without David or Kim). "Ding Dong" Denise and Chrissie Swan are great and the four women have a good rapport, unfortunately Yumi Stynes is almost unbearable - clearly she has been included to replace David Reyne's awkward comments (when cooking an Asian meal this morning she said she was getting more "slanty" by the minute, *cringe*).

The Biggest Loser (Ten, every five minutes as far as I can tell) - are people seriously still watching this? It's on at dinner time for heaven's sake.

Home & Away (Seven, weeknights at 7pm) - I've never been a fan of the show but I did switch over a few weeks ago to find an incident a la the Cronulla Riots taking place. There was a group of intoxicated youths wearing Australian flags setting fire to the Surf Club - with people of various ethnicities inside! Now that's topical.

Neighbours (Ten, weeknights at 6:30pm) - I haven't been watching Neighbours this year but from what I could piece together from the ads; Steph and Toadie are faking a relationship because Steph is pregnant to her best friend's husband who just happens to be the brother of the man Steph was dating AND caring for after he had a bike accident that left him unable to walk (-for a week or so). Good to see business as usual on Ramsay Street.













The 7pm Project (Ten, weeknights at 7pm) - it seems every time I flip over to this show lately there's a right-wing radio announcer on the panel - so I've stopped flipping over. I do, however, check the website every now and then to find James Matheson doing his thing - and it's usually hilarious.

I'm sure I've forgotten something - I'll edit as I remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment