Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Aussie Ladette to Lowbrow

Good LORD!! How have I ignored this all these weeks?!

Marieke Hardy in her Green Guide page of Feb 26th spoke about how the Aussie Ladette's (Ladette to Lady, Tuesdays 9:30pm on Nine) were at least 'real' women in a sea of fake, plastic fantastic "I'm excited about wallpaper" women on Australian TV ... well Marieke ... I don't know what the hell these creatures are but they are NOT women - I'm 5 minutes into tonight's episode and am having a strong urge to stab myself in the eye with a blunt object and to have any organs removed that might put me in the same category of the trash that is dirtying up my TV screen. I can safely say I don't know ANY women like these ones and they are not at ALL the kind of women I want to (a) see on television, (b) have as a role model for young girls or (c) meet in a dark alley.

You want a good, strong, intelligent female on Australian television?? Saturday, 9:20pm, SBS ... hello Julia Zemiro. As the sexy host of Rockwiz, Julia is a revelation. I am so besotted with her that not long ago I was on the verge of making a t-shirt that said "Julia for PM" - but thought better of it. And while I'm on the 'great Aussie women on TV' rant - how about the guests on Rockwiz? Last Saturday's "Tribute to the Bowl" episode had not one, not two, but THREE lovely young things (Adalita Szren, Ella Hooper and Patience Hodgson) to sigh over and which I would encourage any young girl to idolise.

Hmmmm, what would you rather hear from your daughter; "Mummy, I'm gonna be in a rock'n'roll band when I grow up!" or "Mummy, I'm gonna get a brazilian so the boys wanna root me and shit cuz I'm so hotter than that fugly slut Tegan."

1 comment: