Saturday, October 17, 2009

As Day Follows Night

For some time now I've been patiently waiting to listen to the new Sarah Blasko album As Day Follows Night.

I know, it's been out since July, but after hearing the first single I didn't want to listen to the whole thing until I could hear it on vinyl - so today I went to Polyester Records on Brunswick Street and made my long-awaited purchase.

I was not disappointed. There's something about that wholesome record scratch that works so well with Sarah's husky voice. This album is another gem - following from two previous albums The Overture and the Underscore and What the Sea Wants the Sea Will Have.

There are no filler tracks (songs that aren't brilliant but are put on the record to make up numbers). Each and every one is beautifully engaging. Side 2 of the album reminded me of Suzanne Vega's 1996 album Nine Objects of Desire - especially the songs Lost & Defeated and Over and Over (the last verse of which is from Talking Heads "Road to Nowhere"). There's that strong drum and solid vocal sound reminiscent of Vega in her prime.

Blasko's voice is haunting and warm and rich and delicious - which is why I wanted to listen to it on record - nothing quite gives you that 'sitting right next to you' sound as well as vinyl does.

My favourite tracks are the opening Down On Love and the first single We Won’t Run. Unfortunately with the record you don't get the bonus tracks which include Sarah's popular cover of Xanadu.

As usual the video clips have that quirky Blasko touch that is so endearing. Here's All I Want;

Do yourself a favour - put on the record, pour yourself a glass of wine and visit Sarah's beautiful world for a little while. If only there were frequent flyer points - I've already visited 4 times today.

* Sarah's finishing up her Australian tour and is off to New Zealand. She'll be back for Homebake and the Falls Festival in December. She's been nominated for five Aria awards which are on the 26th of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment