Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot!

The Triple J Hottest 100 countdown has embedded itself into Australian culture - so much so that the cooking of meat outdoors on the 26th of January is no longer called an "Australia Day BBQ" but is more commonly referred to as a "Hottest 100 Party".

When the J's started the countdown back in 1989 it was the hottest 100 songs of all time. When this became a bit repetitive (God bless Joy Division) it was decided that the songs could only be chosen from the year before. Thus the countdown as we know it was born.

But here in 2009 we have a return to that holiest of holies - the hottest 100 of ALL TIME.

Here is the link to vote now. The big reveal will be next month - this is from the website:
"The countdown will start on Tuesday 7th July and we'll slowly reveal the list across the week and countdown the entire 100 across Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th July with a big finale."
Voting closes on the 28th of June. Unfortunately, as in recent years, the top 100 will probably be full of teenage jerk-off bands like My Chemical Romance but I still have hope that at least a few of the truly brilliant songs will get in there.

For the record - my vote:
New Order - Ceremony (not my all-time fave New Order song which is "Here to Stay" but I figured Ceremony at least has a chance of top 20)
Joy Division - She's Lost Control
Pixies - Where Is My Mind?
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
The Velvet Underground - Sunday Morning
Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot
Paul Kelly - How To Make Gravy (The Aussie element - could have been The Go-Betweens "Streets of Your Town")
The Cure - Love Song
Bowie - Rebel Rebel
The Smiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

2 comments:

  1. Sabotage is so up there.

    Also, for me:

    Cannonball by The Breeders
    Seether by Veruca Salt

    Also I loved Hole - not sure what song of theirs I'd pick, but they had some good tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, the Breeders - I figured the Pixies could represent for both.
    Seether made me think of "Pretend We're Dead" by L7 - brilliant song.
    Best thing I ever heard Hole do was at their gig at the Metro in '99 - they did a cover of Guns'n'Roses "Paradise City" - pure brilliance.
    I wouldn't put them anywhere near top 10 though - too much teen angst - not enough catchy hooks ;).

    ReplyDelete