Friday, June 19, 2009

Return of the Rafters

Well the promos have started again - and thankfully no sign of a Jason Mraz song as yet. That's right, the family that won the hearts of Australia and almost every Logie in sight earlier this year is returning!

Packed to the Rafters will be back on channel 7 on June 30. It will be reclaiming its Tuesday night 8:30pm timeslot - so bumpity-bump to the much-maligned All Saints. Not only is All Saints getting a shove but its production has been suspended and its future is hanging in the balance. It seems attempts to 'razzy' it up with more action has resulted in higher costs but no love from viewers.

I can't help it - I too have fallen under the spell of Julie, Dave and the Rafter clan. Interestingly my favourite character isn't a Rafter at all - it's the gorgeous Mel (played by Zoe Ventoura). I fell in love with her in the SBS series Kick in which she played the lead role of feisty "Miki Mavros" (best TV name ever?).

So there's my Tuesday nights sorted.

2 comments:

  1. All Saints feels a bit 2001. Or is that just me?

    I'm not a fan of Zoe. As gorg as she may be, she's a bit too wooden. I love the blonde daughter that had the abortion (I'm bad with names). It's a pretty good drama - Gibney and her husband are fab - though I found the storyline a little too clique last season. Especially the ethnic parent storyline - go and moved to the village back home. That's not really a Greek thing nowadays - the vast majority of Greek parents are far more chilled out these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Jessica Marais (Rachel, the daughter) is a very talented young actor - certainly deserved her Logie!
    The Greek stereotyping just shows Australian TV can only evolve one step at a time!! Women's right to choose today, correct representation of ethnicity tomorrow ... maybe *wink*.

    ReplyDelete