Tuesday, July 21, 2009

7pm Verdict

I thought I'd wait til at least night 2 to cast judgement on channel 10's news/talks program The 7pm Project. Overall I think it's good. Dave Hughes and Carrie Bickmore have a comfortable rapport and Charlie Pickering is quick-witted and generally charming - unfortunately he made a comment last night that irked me; when discussing a pair of gay penguins, he referred to one of the male penguins developing a relationship with a female penguin rather than a male as "how things should be". Considering that gay rights are being fought tooth and nail at the moment this sort of ignorance bothers me intensely. Since then, he's getting on my nerves a little bit - what can you do?

Ruby Rose is awkward and punching above her weight - but she might grow into the role. And last but not least; James Matheison - he is the dark horse in this ensemble cast - he's funny, sarcastic, naughty but nice and oh so likeable. Night one he was in studio and was being left high and dry by the rest of the panel - but tonight he really shone on location with Masterchef winner Julie - he was cracking jokes with the family and working well under pressure. I look forward to seeing him develop outside the scripted host format of Australian Idol.

Overall the show's not amazing, but then it's not altogether terrible either. I'm interested to see where it goes and how the cast develop as a team. It's night one ratings were good (of course it remains to be seen if viewers come back for more) and I'm generally happy with any program that takes viewers away from that vaccuous abyss that is Two and a Half Men.

3 comments:

  1. I might have to tune in tonight.

    I saw about 5 mins and agree about Ruby Rose. She looked beautifully uncomfortable (how damn beautiful is she?). Dave Hughs grates me, so not sure how I'll cope in the long term. Loving goggley eyed James M. He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie was being sarcastic. He made a pro gay marriage comment on Talkin' Bout Your Generation when answering a question. I think you're overly sensitive and have missed the point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I just said that it irked me - not that Charlie should burn in the eternal fires of hell. Since posting this however he's been irking me for all different reasons - so I won't be joining his fan club any time soon.

    Re his pro gay-marriage comment on TBYG - anyone wanting to appeal to a young audience (which is the target demographic of channel 10) would be stupid not to champion the cause.

    Just my opinion and each to their own - but being 'sarcastic' (as you suggest he was being) about homophobia is hardly progressive. I think it was more him speaking freely.

    ReplyDelete