Friday, July 24, 2009

Double Burp for Channel 7

Well, both Double Take and TV Burp on channel 7 last night were pretty terrible. There were a few clever moments in Double Take (few and far between that is) and I will give Ed Kavalee the benefit of the doubt because he was so great on Triple M's Get This (with Tony Martin), but really, I'm not sure either of the shows will be well loved.

There have been a few negative comments on forums about the swearing and nudity on Double Take - of course the rebuttals have pointed out that Underbelly was aired at 8:30pm on channel 9 and contained a lot more violence and nudity. The thing is though, Double Take is a comedy sketch show - not a serious drama - and the promos for it have been generally tame, as opposed to Underbelly, which was clearly not going to be family viewing for the kiddles.

In any case, nudity and swearing are the mark of a desperate comic - it's only smart comedy that can make us laugh without resorting to a dirty joke.

Mind you, I barely noticed the swearing - I was too busy watching the clock - counting down the minutes until it ended. TV Burp wasn't as painful, but certainly wasn't quality entertainment.

2 comments:

  1. I too was less than impressed, especially with TV Burp. Someone needs to tell Ed to stop wobbling his head like some crazy muppet. It put me off. Almost as much as an Aus Idol promo. Almost !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobble-head Ed, it's got a ring to it! Maybe he was over-acting to cover up nerves.
    I agree re the Aus Idol promo - I still have last years "Can You Feel It?" stuck in my head - and the answer is yes, I CAN feel it, if "it" is a growing resentment toward mankind that is, *wink*.

    ReplyDelete